Friday, September 12, 2014

Share a Cool Tool

Choose a digital tool to use in your classroom or professional situation. You are free to select any app or tool you would like to share with your peers. Add your entry as a comment below. Please include the following in your entry:



1. Name of the tool
2. Platform(s) on which it works (web-based, iOS, Android, etc.)
3. What it does
4. One way it could be used in your situation (classroom, PD, etc.) Be specific with your ideas!
5. At which level of SAMR your example activity falls

20 comments:

  1. In some of the Title 1 rooms, we use a link to Tumblebooks.

    http://asp.tumblebooks.com/library/asp/home_tumblebooks.asp is the link.

    It is a web based site that we use for interactive e-books. It is easy to choose certain books to go along with units of study, organize and save them to your cloud. This is especially helpful when we focus on certain genres or author studies. It also lists a specific AR level as well as a Lexile level.
    We use the whiteboard so all can see, and then after the story, most books have a game to accompany. It models good fluency and most books highlight the text as it reads to the kids. We use this mostly as a fun activity or a time filler if the teachers are in between units in the reading series.
    I believe this falls in the substitution area of SAMR. We are only replacing a paper copy of the book with technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doceri
    iOS 8 on the Ipad

    I have used Doceri on the Ipad with students. Doceri is an app that allows hand drawn recordings visually and verbally. I put students in groups. Each group was instructed to make a muliplication problem and demonstrate how to solve the problem using the break apart method. The group decided on a team name, who would write on Doceri, and the script (who and when the students would talk). The project was recorded. Then, it was shared on the white board. The students enjoyed the project. I look forward to doing another one with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My project is using Doceri on the iPad with students. This is a FABULOUS app that my students LOVE to use. This app allows the students to draw and explain what the are doing. It records them as they are working out the problem. Then you can play the videos to the whole group. I break them in small groups and they have to make up a problem with the concept we are learning, work as a team to decide who talks/writes when, and then it might take several tries to get their video to their liking! It is great to see the kids explain concepts to each other. Peer work can be so fun with them and they are learning from each other. I think this app represents the modification application on the SAMR model because they are making their own videos to explain a concept to the class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have used the Dragon Dictation app in my classroom. It is available in all formats (android, web, IOS). This is an app where you can speak into it and it will type what you say. I have used this app with students who have a hard time getting their ideas in writing from their mouths to the paper. I have had students who can tell great stories but when it came to them writing it down, they couldn't do it. This app allows them to tell their story and have it typed for them. I believe this app would fall in the augmentation category of the SAMR model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, I think this would be great for my third graders. Boy can they tell stories ALL DAY LONG! The key is getting them to put it in word form. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  5. I have used the 10monkeys.com app for my fourth grade daughter. It is a free app I got in the play store. I have used it for multiplication drilling of facts. I have talked to my math class about it and put it in my newsletter as an entertaining way to practice math facts instead of writing them out or doing a worksheet. For this fact, I would place it in the substitution category of the SAMR model.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We use STAR Renaissance Reading Assessments in our Title I rooms.

    https://hosted8renlearn.com/118536/STAR/ProgressMonitor/StudentDetailaspx

    STAR Reading Assessments is a web based site that we use for placement into the Title I program, setting intervention goals, and progress monitoring. Once the student is placed into the Title program, intervention goals are set up. Progress monitoring is done every other week. Test scores can be accessed after the test is finished. Progress reports can be given to teachers, parents, and kept in a cumulative folder. Each report shows the growth rate made towards the set goal. Interventions can be changed if no growth is being made after 8 weeks. I believe this tool would fall under the augmentation level on the SAMR model.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In the past, the Title 1 program in our school has always used pen and paper assessments to progress monitor our struggling students. This monitoring was labor intensive and time consuming. Tests were administered and then hand scored. The scores were then entered into the "Title 1 Bible" for placement and future reference. All these "steps" took valuable instruction time away from these students. We recently switched to a digital, on-line progress monitoring tool that can be administered in half the time. The assessments are done on the tablets, which really engages the students. The scores are immediately available. The progress of these students can be accessed with a click of a mouse. The data, the graphics, the plethora of information we have available using this tool is amazing. The progress monitoring tool we currently use is Renaissance Learning Star Enterprise Literacy tests. It is accessed through our hp tablets using Internet Explorer. Being that this is an assessment, I believe this would be an example of augmentation using the SAMR model.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have used Learn to Type-Big Brown Bear. This is a site on the internet that we access in the computer lab or lap tops. It is a wonderful typing program that I have implemented both at home with my 2nd grader and have also used within my 4th grade classroom. The program allows the students to work at a differentiated pace. The students came into 4th grade pecking at the keys. This site has allowed them to work on proper finger placement when typing spelling words, sentences, creative writing stories, etc. They feel successful when they master a level and advance to the next. This is gives a sense of accomplishment, and they want to keep going because they like how it makes them feel. I love it too! It will also help prepare them for when we take ISTEP and the stories will need to be typed on a computer this year. This lesson falls under augmentation using the SAMR model.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Symbaloo
    Web Based
    http://www.symbaloo.com
    A great resource to book mark sites and share those sites with students, parents, and teachers. This is a site and not really an app. But, the functionality of the site allows me to easily share sites with students. I can create a webmix for each subject and even create more specific webmixes for content in each subject. For example, I was able to create a webmix with a variety of apps, videos, and games for students to practice multiplication. Parents can use the site for extra practice at home and when I make updates to the webmix parents receive the update. The video are embedded so the children only see the video and don't have access to all the garbage you might see with a video on Youtube.

    ReplyDelete
  11. kidblog.com
    This is a web based tool.
    I have just started using kidblog but it’s a great platform for students to reflect, respond, question and collaborate with their peers. I currently have this blog set up as a way for my students to respond to the big question of the week (this is usually a content focused question from our reading series). For two weeks, I have had this as a station Monday-Thursday and am just training my first graders on logging in and out, typing a response and using the computer. Eventually, I want to move my kids to responding and questioning each other. My plan is on Fridays (we take an online reading assessment in the lab) we would read through the posts before heading to the lab and then after they are done with the assessment they would log into the blog and post a response or question to another student’s post. I am hoping that this will become a collaborative and reflective part of our day. As I am using the blog right now I think that it’s only at the augmentation level but when my students start responding to each other it will move up to modification. I am still working on how to get this to the redefinition level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing this idea, Bobbi. I think this sounds like a fantastic idea.

      Delete
  12. I have used Symbaloo to store valuable information for my Student Council officers to give then insight into our Honor Council mandates. It would count as substitutional in the SAMR model.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This week, we have been learning how to use the app iMovie. We started out by reading Click, Clack, Moo Cows that Type. We used a graphic organizer add a new chapter to the story. We then took the graphic organizer to start a trailer for the next chapter. The kids are learning how to type in their text, take picture, search for pictures, take video, and embed it all into the movie. We then are showing the finished trailer using our Apple TV. We are learning so much and it is very exciting. I believe this would be modification.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I teach a sixth grade high ability language arts class and we have used the iMovie application. I was amazed at how easy it is to change the templates and add personal creativity. At the time, the class was reading a story about a girl from New Jersey. I had the students create a commercial to visit New Jersey. The students loved it!

      What grade do you teach?

      Delete
  14. I have provided my students with accounts on ten marks. It is a website which allows the students to complete math review assignments. I generally give the students two weeks to complete assignments. Most of the students enjoy doing the assignments because it is a different format and it gives immediate feedback. This would be substitution on the SAMR model. I have not used these assignments for a graded assignment, but I would like to be able to use this instead of doing the monthly review packets I presently us. The difficulty I have run into is some of the students don't have access at home, and some of them continually lose there password.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have used the First Grade Phonics app with ios8 on my IPAD. The app has 23 different word categories (ranging from short vowels, long vowels, vowel pairs, and blends) that can be used in different activities (including basic words, spelling, writing, filling in sentences, matching words with pictures, riddles, and word searches). There is a speaker that can be pressed and a shown word is stated. Students can also check their responses while using the fill in the sentence and matchinig activities. This allows students to work independently. This app is useful for reinforcement of specific phonic skills. I believe the augmentation level of SAMR is reached when using this tool.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Name of Tool: Kahoot
    Platform: phones, ipads, computers
    What it does: Game based classroom response system where the teacher creates a quiz or survey with imagery and video components (if desired) based on the content of your class.
    Example: As a history teacher, I create 10 review questions over the Civil War with four possible answer choices. The students all enter a game code on their personal phone (for example) and are then connected to the game/review the teacher has created and visually shows on an overhead projector. On the overhead, the question is stated with four shapes corresponding each to an answer choice. Students only see the four shapes on their phones and must select one/tap and must respond within 30 seconds. Once everyone has responded, the right answer is revealed along with how many students choose each answer shape. The faster a student selects the correct answer, the more points (kahoots) that student will receive. (First student to answer correctly gets 20 points, last person to answer correctly may only get 5 points). Students individual phones reveal where they land in the class. (You have 45 points and are in 2nd place behind Joey). The application brings out the fiercest competition! Lots of fun!
    Level of SAMR: Augmentation

    ReplyDelete
  17. I recommend this for older students that would have access to their own phones. It is nice because one does not need to book a computer lab or the ipad cart. If you class is old enough to have their phones with them -- you can use it!

    ReplyDelete